Banbury Run

History

A History of the Banbury Run

The Greatest Cavalcade of Historic Motorcycles in the World by Annice Collett

Banbury History

No event in the history of the club has had more far-reaching effects than the [Banbury Run]. A direct result has been an increase in membership but indirectly a tremendous impetus has been given to the vintage movement by this full-scale public demonstration. Titch Allen, Vintage Motor Cycle club (VMCC) Bulletin, July 1949 The Vintage Motor Cycle Club (VMCC) Banbury Run first took place in 1949, with 2025 seeing the running of the event for the 75th time - two years late because Covid-19 prevented it from taking place in 2020 and 2021. This Run is seen as a highlight of the year for riders, spectators, organisers, helpers and hosts. The Banbury Run is a timed competitive and social event run under the auspices of the Auto Cycle Union (ACU). It has been a restricted event since 1960 and a closed event since 1968. In 1996 only it was organised as a closed-to-club social run, but since 1997 it has been a closed-to-club event that the rider can choose to enter either as a time trial or a social run.

Old program

To be considered for the Concours D’ Elegance, machines must have started the Run with the intention of finishing but are not excluded if they fail to finish (criteria changed very recently – for much of the Run’s history only finishers qualified for the Concours) so this is not just a display of pristine unused and unrideable motorcycles. Since at least 1979 concern has been expressed that Concours machines are too good – better than they ever left the factory, but it is indisputable that to win here is testament to skill and often many hours of dedicated work. The Run has always been intended to be “intentionally tougher” than other runs, and this challenge proved popular with riders right from the beginning.

Old programme

However, despite the doubts of the uninitiated, an entrant generally has a 95% chance of completion, even if sometimes it seems this is achieved by sheer will-power. The Run started back in 1949 after a discussion in the Dog and Duck in Shardlow, Derbyshire, between Ivor Mutton and other members of the VMCC’s nascent Midlands Section. Mutton proposed that “we should honour our forebears” with a run based around Banbury. His idea became the “Birmingham-Banbury Reliability Run for Veteran and Vintage Motorcycles” which took place on June 26th 1949. The April 1949 club bulletin described the Run as the “most ambitious event the VMCC has planned”. It was hoped that every member would compete or help. In 1950, this became The Banbury Run. In 1956, CE “Titch” Allen, the VMCC’s founder, wrote that to educate the new generation and honour an older one was “no less than the club’s duty”. Given its proximity to the manufacturing centres of Birmingham and Coventry, in the early years of motoring the Banbury area had seen many works test riders experimenting with how well the latest model could cope with actual road conditions such as Sun Rising Hill. The demanding length and incline of this hill would have seen the death of a few designers’ dreams but the vindication of many others’ innovative plans. The area was the “principal proving ground for the Industry”. Banbury was also the focus of many of the early ACU Quarterly Trials and other similar events. Banbury Cross was often used as a turning point or a central starting point and huge crowds were attracted to the town to watch these brave pioneers as they battled with rough, rutted, dusty or muddy roads, easily punctured tyres, unreliable spark plugs, slipping drive belts, rudimentary brakes and virtually no suspension. The programmes for the early years of the Run frequently allude to the greatness of the British Motorcycle industry and the part the early machines played in this. In return, the industry’s support of the Run is reflected in advertisements by manufacturers including BSA and Velocette, dealers such as Conways and Slocombes, and suppliers including Shell and Smiths. There were also “works entries” from Ariel and James - 1981 saw a “works entry” from Bulmer’s cider. “Carbon” of Motorcycling magazine (Capt. Francis Jones) wrote of the 75,000 British bikes exported annually, there was a general understanding that the success of the British bike Industry had been “made possible by the efforts of the pioneers” as seen on the Run.

The Classes

Manufacturers tend to adopt new trends at similar periods for fear of looking old-fashioned and of their products becoming technically outdated. We can see distinct differences between Veteran (up to 31st December 1914) and Vintage (1st January 1915 to 31st December 1930) machines, but these two divisions have never been sufficient for this Run.
The entries are principally divided into classes by year of manufacture, although a smaller engine size, the presence of a sidecar, or to a degree the rider’s age or preference can put them into a different class. The number and definition of the classes has changed over the years, but the usual division now is that Veteran machines are in class A. Class B covers the Early Vintage machines built up to 31st December 1924, and class C Late Vintage machines from 1st January 1925 to the end of 1930. However, in 1949 class A was up to 31st December 1905 and in other years 1907, 1908 and 1909 were used as the cut-off point for this class.
In past years the classes were A B, C or A, B, C, D, although in 1957 the classes - inexplicably – were A, B, C, E albeit using similar age-bands to other years. In 1952 and 1953 there was a separate “Selling” class for machines available for purchase - what better road test could a potential purchaser expect to see?
An average speed is specified for each class, and the rider’s objective is to complete the course without navigational errors in a time that is as close as possible to the theoretical time for the distance. As of 2025 we have A, A1, B and C with average speeds of 15, 18, 20 and 24 mph respectively. At first glance these speeds seem very low but if you are nursing a recalcitrant 125-year-old through modern traffic they can seem very demanding, particularly since riders do not know the exact length of the course, and for the minority of machines with speedometers (which were not required by law until 1936) the mileometer must be covered up. Nevertheless. a few entrants fail to achieve a first class award each year by being too quick.

1949 ex supp regs

The date of the Run has varied. In 1949 the plan was for the fourth Sunday in June, but this has only happened in 15 of the 75 years. In 1951 it was the fourth Sunday in July. In recent years it has mostly been on the third Sunday of June 
– Fathers’ Day.

The Motorcycles

Each year the machines get a little more ancient and more precious to us. When the Run started the oldest machine (a 1902 Clement Victoria) was 47 years old and the youngest (a number made in 1930) were 19 years old. At the time any machine made before 1931was eligible to be used in VMCC events – the current eligibility rule of 25 years or older did not come in until the 1960s. Now the newest machine in the event will be nearly 95 years old. The oldest machine on the run for many years was an 1897 Beeston-Humber tricycle first entered in 1952, although this is matched for the 2025 Run by an equally-venerable 1897 Léon Bollée.The motorcycles cover almost every type and size you could imagine. At one extreme are the Wall Autowheel or the JES, essentially just heavyweight bicycles with small 1hp engines attached in a variety of ways. At the other extreme the event has seen an American-built,1300cc, four-cylinder Henderson, and a Czech-built Böhmerland Langtouren, with seating for three and the longest production motorcycle ever made. They include ones that gained kudos in all forms of competition as well as everyday commuters. In 1951 Joe Tite was on the actual 499cc Rudge that Wal Handley had ridden to victory in the 1930 Isle of Man TT. Eric Langton’s 1902 Zedel, on the other hand, had been rescued from a scrapyard in 1937.Motor vehicles over 40 years old no longer have to pass an MoT test every year, but since the Run takes places on public roads all must be fully roadworthy. In the event’s early years it was not uncommon for machines to be ridden to the start and, assuming no catastrophe had occurred, ridden home again afterwards, but given today’s traffic and the long distances travelled by many entrants most now arrive in a van or on a trailer. Writing in 1953, the former champion race rider Geoff Duke thought that by 1973 we would be riding super-sonic radar navigated jet cycles and whilst this is not yet quite the case, his point was that there was, and still is, a lack of comprehension about how in the Veteran and Vintage years people could possibly achieve the distances and speeds that they did on primitive machines full of idiosyncrasies. Some machines, such as The Dreadnought from 1902 – the world’s oldest surviving trials motorcycle - do demand a huge level of skill and experience, whilst most of the Late Vintage machines are very ridable and amenable should a newcomer fancy a go.The Programme entries were at one stage drafted by one of the Club’s wordsmiths, but are now written by the entrant and often contain humorous insights into the tribulations of ownership such as “suspended in a northern pub for many years [hence] the wobbles” or “caught fire last year”.

1950 supp regs p1

Entrants and Organisers

The first Run saw 81 intrepid riders set out, watched by over 2000 spectators at the start in Birmingham, and more at Banbury. Some of these riders had first met their machines when they were new. By 1953 241 optimists saw the event’s attraction and by 1957 numbers had grown to 349. Figures stayed fairly consistent up to 1987 when 430 entries were accepted. In 2001 500 riders took part whilst 2008 saw the limit raised to 600. In most years the Run was oversubscribed. Numbers dropped back to a more manageable 500 in 2015 and, along with every other event, after the Covid pandemic numbers dropped further. In 2024 there were 291 riders, and for 2025 around 300 now seems to be the new norm.Some riders are nearer retirement than birth. Having said that we are gratified that many younger people take part each year. Some have entered at 16 or 17 as soon as they were legally able to ride. The run is often a family affair – both the one you are born to and the one you choose – grandparents, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, siblings and cousins have all entered as teams or individuals. Many riders comment on the camaraderie. The Run is a serious motorcycling event not a fancy-dress show, but entrants have included a chimney sweep complete with brushes, nurses, First World War Despatch Riders, and many other nattily attired men and women as recognised by the Banbury Town Mayor Trophy.Of the brave souls that choose to pit themselves and their machines against the local roads and the British weather, there have been a good number of famous faces. From the world of competition motorcycling – trials, road racing and speedway, these include: H.R Davies and G.S. Davison (TT) Oliver and Eric Langton (speedway), and Sammy Miller MBE, Don French, Bill Fruin, Rex Judd, Edith Spokes and Jill Savage (trials). Notable motoring journalists and writers include Bob Currie, Norman Vanhouse, and Jeff Clew, whilst the event has attracted the attention of many media personalities including Alan Cathcart, Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove. John Masterman’s entry in 1949 noted he had ridden to 19 countries in Europe, Asia and Africa including a three-week trip to Istanbul and back in 1939. By 1967 his tally was 21 countries, averaging 20,000 miles a year. He also rode in at least three Lands’ End Trials on his 1928 Norton. Titch described this bike in the July 1949 VMCC Bulletin as “bearing the filth of 9 countries and the rust of 20 years”, whilst the 1956 programme mentions that Masterman explicitly did not want to enter the Concours as the machine still bore most of the mud and dust of its travels: one perhaps hopes it still does. 1957 saw the first overseas entrant when Henry Wing Snr of Massachusetts rode a 1905 Indian 187cc single. Since then, there have been riders from all points of the globe.The organisation of an event this large and complex requires the help of many volunteers. To give some idea of the scale, in 1952 the club had 400 members and there were 189 entrants in the run, albeit entries were not closed-to-club. For many years most of the work was done by the VMCC’s Sections in the Midlands group. For a while much of the organisational and administrative work was handle by the Club’s paid staff, but since 2022 the focus has moved back to volunteers who in the internet age can now be geographically very spread out.Many of the great and the good have honoured the VMCC by participating in the event’s organisation. A few of those famous outside the Club can be noted. From 1949 to 1962 H. Rem Fowler (winner of the first TT in 1907) was involved as a scrutineer, steward or judge. In 1949 his fellow scrutineer was H.R Davies (HRD of Vincent-HRD), whilst the Introduction to the Programme was written by “Ixion” (Rev. Basil H. Davies) and “Carbon” was a judge. 1950 featured Bert Perrigo (trials rider) as a judge and Mrs Doris Taylor (a renowned event official) as a timekeeper with the programme introduction being by Carbon. In 1951 Jim Ferriday of Feridax took part as a judge along with E.C.G. Baragwanath (racer): Major H.R. Watling (Director of the British Cycle and Motor Cycle Manufacturers and Traders Union) wrote the Introduction, and the Mayor of Banbury served as the starter.

extract from regs
1953 cover not id

Two up on the 1953 event - we haven't identified the riders, but crowds were lining the streets
Mrs Watson Bourne, better known as Marjorie Cottle in her day the “world’s most famous trials rider” took duty as a steward or judge from 1954 to 1957. Hugh Palin MBE (a director of the Cycle and Motorcycle Association, Managing Director of Norton Villiers and President of the MCIA.) stewarded for 21 years from 1954. Other luminaries including Erwin Tragatsch, Harold Scott (nephew of motorcycle manufacturer AA Scott), Bob Currie, Harold Karslake, Jim Sheldon, race riders H.G. Tyrell Smith, F.P. Heath and Charles Mortimer have all been either judges or stewards. In 1979 notable trials and race rider Olga Kevelos presented the prizes. Ian Young’s commentary was always pertinent. In 1967 Charles Mortimer’s Racing School provided the breakdown/recovery service, which may have added an exciting element to counter the misery of machine failure!

1953 start
More crowds at the start of the 1953 Run

Many other clubs have taken part over the years. The Vintage Sports Car Club Light Car Section helped with marshalling in 1953 as did the Leamington Victory and other local motorcycle clubs. One-make clubs such as the London Douglas Motor Cycle Club and the AJS and Matchless Owners Club have joined us to celebrate their anniversaries. The tradition continues in 2025, with the Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club (Meriden Branch) running checkpoints, and riders from the Royal British Legion working as Travelling Marshals on the course. ore crowds at the start of the 1953 RunMany other clubs have taken part over the years. The Vintage Sports Car Club Light Car Section helped with marshalling in 1953 as did the Leamington Victory and other local motorcycle clubs. One-make clubs such as the London Douglas Motor Cycle Club and the AJS and Matchless Owners Club have joined us to celebrate their anniversaries. The tradition continues in 2025, with the Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club (Meriden Branch) running checkpoints, and riders from the Royal British Legion working as Travelling Marshals on the course.

1953 T jenkins
T. Jenkins rounds a corner - note the historic spectator transport!

The 1977 programme cover featured “warm good wishes for a successful day” from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. . Jenkins rounds a corner - note the historic spectator transport!The 1977 programme cover featured “warm good wishes for a successful day” from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

1959 prog not id

The Start

Bill Moore 1978 cover

In 1949 the Run went from Wagon & Horses, Coventry Road, Sheldon to the Market Place in Banbury. The landlord of the Wagon & Horses, Doug Copley, rode his own Baby Triumph. The next year the event started at the Crown Hotel, Banbury and ran to the BSA Sports Ground in Small Heath, Birmingham. After that the event settled down to the start and finish in the same place. Start points in Banbury have included the Horsefair, the Midland Mart car park, Castle Gardens car park, Grimsbury car park and, from 1980 to 1986, Automotive Products.

From 1958 to 1960 the Run was based at Honeybourne Aerodrome near Evesham. Shenington Airfield hosted it in 1961, and in 1962 and 1963 the event ran from the Royal Engineers Supply Depot at Long Marston. 1987 saw the Run in the impressive surroundings of Blenheim Palace at Woodstock. The venue was Drayton School from 1988 to 1995, followed by Towcester Racecourse from 1996 to 1999. In 2000 we returned to the school until 2007. After many years happy association with the school, who saw it as a highlight of their year and a vital fundraising opportunity the event finally outgrew them. In 2008 the Run moved to the British Motor Heritage Museum at Gaydon, where it has remained.

Banbury cartoon Aug 1998

The Route

The route of the Banbury Run has varied over time depending on the start/finish location. Ivor Mutton assured members that the 1949 route was “fairly easy as Kenilworth Ford has a concrete bed and only three hills that might require LPA” (Light Pedal Assistance). He noted that Edgehill is “not so outstandingly severe but is rather lengthy” (a 300 ft rise in 1000 yds). The route usually passes Banbury Cross and, apart from in 1987, Sun Rising Hill has featured every year since 1954.It has included many well-known towns and villages in the area including Broadway, Chipping Norton, Cropredy, Gaydon, Halford, Kenilworth, Kineton, Leamington, Moreton-in Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Towcester, Winchcombe, Woodstock, Wroxton and many others. The first year included Warwick and the second year saw riders pass through Solihull.Sun Rising is not the only hill embodying the potential for despair or exaltation. Aston Hill, Bakers Hill, Dover’s Hill, Edgehill, Saintbury Hill, Saltbury Hill, Steepness Hill and Stoneleigh Hill have all been used in the past. Sometimes these hills were observed so extra points could be gained.The length of the run also varies. For many years the pattern has been two routes, short and long, which partially overlap. Current practice (2025) involves a short route, from 20 to 50 miles and avoiding any really steep gradients, intended for the oldest and least powerful machines in classes A and A1. It also involves a long route, from 40 to 75 miles and now always including the ascent of Sun Rising Hill, for the newer and more powerful machines.The early years featured an organised lunch stop and a special engine restarting test and there were observed non-stop sections. The restarting test might have caused more trepidation for some riders then the dreaded hills - everyone knows that older motorcycles can sometimes refuse to start when they have an audience.The Trophies and AwardsA considerable number of trophies are awarded to participants in the Run, whilst those riding competitively rather than socially and who complete the run are eligible for a Gold or Silver Award depending on their score. The eligibility and criteria for each trophy is listed in each year’s Regulations. Appendix One sets out the most recent Regulations (2025), whilst for historical interest Appendix Two reproduces the oldest-known surviving Regulations, for 1950. The origin of some of the Trophies has been lost over time, and the author would welcome any additional information.

The Trophies and Awards

A considerable number of trophies are awarded to participants in the Run, whilst those riding competitively rather than socially and who complete the run are eligible for a Gold or Silver Award depending on their score. The eligibility and criteria for each trophy is listed in each year’s Regulations. Appendix One sets out the most recent Regulations (2025), whilst for historical interest Appendix Two reproduces the oldest-known surviving Regulations, for 1950. The origin of some of the Trophies has been lost over time, and the author would welcome any additional information.


↑ Back to top
← Return to Banbury Run