Consultation on the future of the VMCC
Three Current Member Consultations
Click on the links below:
- Click here for: Member Communications 2021 Survey
- Click here for: Moving forward with the VMCC logo Page 25 of September Journal (closes 31st September)
- Click here for VMCC Award Nomination Form - 2021
All responses received will be entered into a draw for a motorcycle. (T&Cs at the bottom of www.vmcc.net/raffle)
Member Suggestions, Requests, Proposals & Resolutions
The Club is committed to increasing democracy and empowering members.
We openly invite members to make suggestions, requests, proposals & resolutions at any time - 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
The challenge we are looking to solve:
- Encourage the number of suggestions, requests, proposals & resolutions coming forward.
- Improve proposal quality & ensure that proposals & resolutions are well reasoned and likely to pass smoothly & without challenge.
- Reduce the cost of evaluating proposals and administering resolutions
- Lower risk to the Club by avoiding the chance of an ill-considered proposal being passed.
- Incentivise & reward members for taking the time to improve the Club.
Click here for Members’ Suggestions, Requests, Proposals & Resolutions
September progress update
- September 12th 2021 at 6PM Click here for Booking link for VMCC Quarterly Operations & Finance review by Zoom
- Quarterly Operations Report
- Logo Consultation -Page 25 of September Journal
- Riding & Events Forward Plan
- Club Bikes Booking update - Page 42 of September Journal
- Club IT Infrastructure
August progress update
Following the Club News in August, the following new links may be helpful.
July progress update
June progress update - Update on Membership and Finances
The VMCC made a statement over stabilised membership and finances in the June Journal
Following a focus on overhead reduction and operational process improvement, the new team have reduced the budget deficit by half for the remaining months of the Financial Year to September. We generated a modest surplus in April, and even if we stopped with change now, we could forecast a profitable Budget year within 18 months.
The Board including the FD, Cliff Harris now feels enough focus on short term cost reduction has been completed, and at the same time, we now need to focus on increasing revenue.
The club has published a forward plan in June and will give notice to all members in the July Journal.
Links to more forward plans to cover Membership Operations, Library & Shop will be published as part of a July update.
It was also confirmed by the club's accountant that the May figures showed a small surplus had been made for the second month running. Further savings have been made and the previously projected budget deficit has been cut by half. There will be dips ahead due to important investments - the outlook trend is positive.
May progress update - Steve Allen, son of Titch, addresses VMCC members concerns
The list of club bikes has been published https://vmcc.net/Club-bikes
April update - Outcome of Consultation
- continue the current programme of cutting expenditure and overheads
- increase efficiency
- right-size the organisation
A large majority of members have rejected:
- Spending the money and winding up the club.
- Funding through speculative business ventures.
- Increasing the membership fee excessively to £70 to cover employees to run events and admin.
- To stop the ageing Membership Operation breaking down completely and instead to make it better than ever with quick phone responses from the new enthusiastic team and requests being actioned swiftly.
- To put in the 75th Anniversary logo, reinvigorating the shop and putting in place a new look for the Journal - with photos of bikes for sale!
- To ensure that VMCC officers and volunteers were insured - where previously they were left outside of insurance arrangements.
- Progressing the Section Handbook and putting in a plan to give Sections a register of all current members in their postcode area.
- To understand the impact of past decisions, that will constrain our choice for a few years to come, such as the £50k five year lease on office equipment taken out 2019, affecting our options with Allen House, and the complex nature of our financial arrangements over the past twenty years that hide costs in our huge overhead and will take three years to unravel.
- Following the stepping down at short notice of both the Chair and Vice-Chair, ensuring that the AGM documentation was written and published to an acceptable standard, at higher quality and lower cost than in the past, and allowing member democracy within Covid constraints.
During the consultation period, it would have been inappropriate to make and communicate the VMCC’s plans in advance of receiving members' consultation feedback. Now we have clarity on the members’ wishes, we can finalise and communicate the outcome of our work over recent months and publish our forward plans.
This work has taken up time, as much as 60 to 70 hours per week and as a result, we have not been able to spend volunteer time on the Bulletin and Section Communications. For this we apologise, there are only so many hours in the day and have had to prioritise.
Moving forward with a 90-day plan
A 90-day plan has been put into place where we will be focusing on addressing the following:
- Ensuring full transparency over finances and contracts
- Moving away from a limited company and business culture and be more club-focused.
- Empowering Sections to recruit and manage their own membership themselves
- Addressing issues around the Library and its future
- Turning around the shop and making it work
- Giving Members equal access to the Club Bikes and selling any off any that are not used.
Later in April, we will be revealing our plans for a Members Insurance deal that we have been working on since January. (see vmcc.net/insurance)
- Membership Operations from the Membership Team and our plans to ensure all 13,500 members are allocated to Sections.
- Marketing from the Marketing Team and our support of Section Marketing
- Library Operations from the Library Team
- Riding & Show events from the Events Team and our support for Section Events
- Exciting new Raffle and shop options from the Shop team with special access for Sections.
- Book a Club Bike availability through your local Section
- A Club and leadership forward plan from the VMCC leadership team that ensures that the Sections are at the centre of everything and building a Club for the next 75 years
- 2020 AGM Minutes
- 2020 Accounts
- A response to AGM FAQs
The independent vote counting & scrutineering team will shortly be making a method statement on their activities that ensure a fair and independent vote.
Member Democracy & the AGM
Voting at VMCC AGMs has become a bloodsport and the VMCC has had a shamefully high turnover of directors, 92 in number since 1981.
Even new highly qualified volunteers coming forward to help the VMCC, can expect to have an extraordinary 20% of the AGM vote against them. From the consultation response, it is difficult to believe this is representative of the 3000 consultation responders who truly care, let alone the 13,500 members.
We need to end this dysfunctional, revolving door cycle by ensuring the vote is truly representative of the 3100 members who took the time to respond to the consultation and not just the small number of members who choose to attend AGMs.
How can you help maintain progress and move the VMCC forward?
Vote for or against the two VMCC members standing for election who have volunteered and are fully supported by the leadership team taking the VMCC forward
- Mario Costa-Sa
- Brian Southam
There is no need to nominate a proxy and on this occasion, you can vote directly, simply vote directly by clicking here.
Vote by web ( No login needed, just your membership number)
Each internet vote saves the VMCC £1 and potentially £13k if everyone votes electronically. It also saves volunteer time for our scrutineer teams in keying in votes.
All web voters will be entered into a prize draw for a specially numbered version of the sold-out VMCC 75th-anniversary watch.
This includes web voters who change their mind or paper voters who simply wish to recast the vote by web. This will make the consolidation cheaper, simpler and quicker in the future and will save the VMCC hundreds of thousands of pounds in the next 75 years to come.
75th Anniversary logo
Give your feedback on the work of the volunteer members who make up the VMCC Marketing Team who have driven a new image and brand for the VMCC by simply giving your thoughts on the logo by clicking here.
Again, to thank you for giving your views through the web we will offer a free goody bag of 75th-anniversary items from the Retail Shop or a choice of traditional logo items from the Spares shop.
The VMCC club staffWe ask all members to thank all the club's staff who, while many organisations are still not fully staffed, have been working every day through the lockdown, Terry in the shop, Peter, Claire and volunteers in the library, Louise in accounts and Abi and Alice answering all member queries.
- Alice & Abi Membership@vmcc.net
- Terry Transfers@vmcc.net
- Louise Accounts@vmcc.net
- Claire Library@vmcc.net
We trust you will endorse the recent progress and support our plans, which we believe deliver a full and comprehensive program driven by the need to reverse the trend over many years of declining membership numbers. The financial viability of our organisation is not just necessary, it is imperative. By putting the Sections back at the heart of everything we do and having a “fit for purpose” support function we can achieve our goals and have a club that is valued by all its members.
Fortune favours the brave and the volunteers, who have put their hand up to fix these difficult issues which have held back the VMCC for many years, now need your support. It is time for the Club to face the future in a positive and inclusive way, ensuring that the next 75 years are something that all of us can be proud to have been a part of.
VMCC Leadership team